Henry Charles Weiss

Henry Charles Weiss was born in West Germany on September 16th, 1847. When he immigrated to the United States his name was altered- several times. The old German handwriting “Weiss” resembled “Weihe” so he also became Henry Charles Weihe. But Weihe was translated to English as “White” and “Henry Charles” became a simple “Charles,” leaving Charles White to enlist in the United States Armed Forces 7th Cavalry. He could not have anticipated the major events his years of service would encompass. A section of his diary was published in Indian Views of the Custer Fight after being copied by Walter Camp in 1909. On June 24th, 1876, White recalled Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer going to investigate the status of an Indian village and returning to split the troop into three parties or companies with the intent to surround the village. White was not part of Custer’s company and survived the Battle of the Little Bighorn, otherwise known as the Battle of the Greasy Grass. Major Marcus Reno and Captain Frederick Benteen were in command of the other companies; White was under Major Reno’s command. Lieutenants were then put in charge of pack trains and detachments. Sergeant White was part of the detachment that went on advanced guard with Lieutenant Hare. They spotted members of the tribes, and then Reno commanded the advanced guard to return to the Company. As they prepared for battle, White discusses the timber they used for protection and the rivers they had to ford. White also brings up some more controversial details of the ensuing fight within the pages of his diary. For example, White mentions the consumption of alcohol by his majors and some lieutenants before the fighting ever began. He also states that as he and the rest of his company created a valley skirmish line many officers, five of the eight, moved to the timber cover quickly without truly enduring the battle. After the battle, White decided his military days were done.

When Sergeant Charles White became a civilian, he underwent yet another name change, as he became most popularly known as H. C. Weihe. After he left the military, he had two marriages; first, he married Sarah Wells, a widow, but she passed in 1887. Their daughter, Elmer, passed in 1886 as an infant. Jennie Torrance Snyder and H. C. Weihe were married in 1889 and became the second recorded marriage in Meade County. They had a daughter, Lottie, who grew up to have a son, Charles Robert Hooper. At the age of 59, survived by his wife, daughter, and grandson, H. C. Weihe passed away from heart failure on October 31, 1906. He is buried in Section 4, Row 7 in the Fort Meade Cemetery. Now his grandson Charles Hooper is laid to rest next to him.

Download the PDF

Post Author: bhveterans

Leave a Reply